November 9, 2004

"All these cheats have defeated me." -Lefty's Deceiver

I transferred to Wesleyan in 1994 because I realized I had sort of flubbed the whole college-picking process, thinking that going to college was good enough and that once I got there there would be plenty of people and a lot of them would have the same interests and values as me. Two years at Bucknell, where few were interested in liberal causes or indie rock, proved me wrong. Frankly, I probably got in to Wes because my then-girlfriend had a good friend in the admissions office. Not that I had bad marks at Bucknell; in fact, I made Dean's List in my final semester. I just think that my SAT scores and high school GPA probably skewed lower than the average at Wes.

Anyway, the point of all this is that when I got to Wes I was able to do the things I liked with people who were cool, and the place where almost all of this transpired was at the radio station WESU. To me, WESU was what college was, the good parts anyway. When I think of the parts of college that I like, I think of WESU. Anyhow, I was alerted this morning to the fact that the president of Wes is considering whoring out 50% of the University's broadcast time for a piddling $50K from NPR, who would use the airwaves to run redundant broadcasts of their flagship programming. Here are three vantage points on the issue. First. Second. Third.

Anyway, I am very pissed. And am working up a scathing letter to the Administration. Enough about that.

Of Note: Trosko has a memo for pizza companies regarding the cheese issue. TimesNewRoman has a caution regarding W's tax liability for his new political capital. One-time Small Hours showmates Turing Machine return with what sounds like a brutal ass-kicking of a record.

That is all. Tonight's playlist up tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you don't know me but I'm the current president of WESU.
The NPR deal sucks, in ways I'm sure I don't need to explain.
But just wanted to fire off a response from the void that we're doing our best to return the station to what it once was.
Glad there are still people out there who care.
-Evan